[FFmpeg-user] max bitrate for vob

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:16:38 CEST 2015

Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 22:50:54 +0100, Kieran O Leary wrote:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Data_rate states: "...a
>>> maximum of 9.80 Mbit/s can be used for video alone..."
>>
>> I would recommend not declaring a bitrate at all if using -target
>> ntsc-dvd. You are using a preset for NTSC DVDs which is already
>> declaring various average/min/max bitrates within the DVD spec. I
>> think the PAL preset averages about 6Mbits per second from my
>> experience and produces very nice looking images.
>
> Totally agree.
>
> Just for info: For the ntsc-dvd target, ffmpeg sets the max rate at
> 9000000.

Only use target for progressive though - it will make a mess of
interlaced especially when the source is 422.

Maybe an "i" suffix on all the targets should be considered that scales
interl=1 and adds ilme/idct. Or maybe a warning only to
use -target on progressive/deinterlaced content would be easier :-)