[FFmpeg-user] HEVC decoding of first frame

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Sep 18 09:39:03 CEST 2015

Hallo Christian,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:48:16 +0200, Christian Herglotz wrote:
> I've got a question regarding the decoding process for HEVC-coded
> sequences. When timing the process I found that the decoding of the
> first frame always takes twice as long as the decoding of all the other
> frames.

While I'm happy to try to reproduce your problem and ask smart
questions, let me please point out:

> ffmpeg version 2.1.git Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
>    built on Feb 20 2014 16:27:13 with gcc 4.6 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

This version of ffmpeg is extremely old, considering the amount of
development happening. Especially with such a "new" codec as HEVC, you
can expect many improvements over 18 months. And if ffmpeg
happens/happened to have a bug, it may very well have been fixed in the
meantime. Nobody here will help trying to identify a bug in such an old
version.

Please repeat your tests with a very recent version of ffmpeg, best is
if you build if from git HEAD.

Thanks,
Gruß,
Moritz