[FFmpeg-user] Extract frames on specific sound

Sam Sykes sam at sykes.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 03:19:49 CEST 2015

I hope someone out here will have an idea on how I can achieve the following ...

I have a project where I am converting some old 8mm film to digital video. The concept is to add a blip / click / pulse to the soundtrack (which will otherwise be silent) every time the next frame is brought in to view (imagine the clicking of a projector, as an example).

Is it possible to use ffmpeg to scan through the resulting video file and ever time a specific sound is heard that it extracts a single frame. These can then be re-assembled in to a video of the right FPS. (There is the silencedetect and also remove, bit I don’t think these are quite right.)

Believe you me, I have tried to search this list and used Google, but I cannot seem to get the right answer or one that is conclusive.

Thanks.