[FFmpeg-user] How can I extract 8 linear thumbnails from videos with differnt length?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Apr 6 23:13:25 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 21:02:17 +0200, Christoph Gerstbauer wrote:
> I want to extract 8 thumbnails from every video I have which represents
> a linear "timeline" over the complete length (100percent) of the video.
[...]
> Is there a filter which can be used for that in combination with the
> -vframe command?

I don't think you'd need "-vframes" (that's what you meant?).

> I want to use ONE command line, where the video length is used as 100
> percent.

The select filter would be appropriate, *except* that the total length
of the video is not available for its expression evaluation. So you
would actually need two commands - one to determine the length, the
other to extract the frames.

Moritz