[FFmpeg-user] compile ffmpeg without mp3 support

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Apr 12 08:38:18 CEST 2016

habib <habib.bouaziz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > You disabled mpg123 support, which is a certain
> > implementation  mplayer uses. You didn't disable ffmpeg's
> > support for mp3.  (Which is what you're asking I guess.)
>
> oh yes of course that's what i need really ; No mp3 at all. I
> did not understand why some others are speaking about laws or
> lawyers ...

You wrote that you are searching for "a configure param to
disable all except free codecs" which implies that you make a
difference between "free" codecs like vorbis and other codecs
like mp3.

I suspect everybody here disagrees with such an assumption (or
they wouldn't work on or with FFmpeg).

If you think that this difference exists, FFmpeg is not the
right tool for you: While you can disable certain codecs,
there is neither a guarantee that disabling a codec disables
all algorithms related to that codec, nor is there a
configure switch that disables all algorithms used in FFmpeg.
(Not even --disable-all)

If you need a guarantee that certain algorithms are not used
in your binary distribution of FFmpeg, only you lawyer can
give it to you (as said, he has an insurance!), if you don't
need such a guarantee, you don't need to disable anything.

Carl Eugen