[FFmpeg-user] libtheora, libmp3lame, vidstab, libvorbis, and libxvid not found on OS X

Rodrigo Polo rodrigo.polo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 06:19:39 CEST 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Jim Worrall <coniophora at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 2016 Apr 15, at 2:39 PM, Rodrigo Polo <rodrigo.polo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I did, Do you read my entire first mail where I said that I didn't
> included because it looks like all the libraries had the same issue and
> that for that reason I included all software and libraries version?
>
> You’ve been asked to include your config log, you didn’t.  You been asked
> not to top-post, you still are.  You were asked to install pkg-config with
> Homebrew, no response.  Your reports have been unclear.  And now you seem
> to be developing an attitude.

1-I believe the config log isn't required because the issue happens if you
have a fresh install of Home Brew, OS X, Xcode, etc. and you follow the
steps on the official guide, but don't worry, I'll include them right now.

2-My native language isn't english, I don't participate on forums or emails
that often to understand some of the therms, rules and common rites, I
indeed googled "top-post" as Reindl Harald suggested, I hope this time my
response complies with the standars this community requires for all kind of
FFmpeg users.

3-Yes, I have been asked to instal pkg-config, and yes I it is installed,
but that is not the issue I'm reporting, I'm reporting that the
instructions on the official FFmpeg guide are not giving the desire
results, they are missing some dependencies using Home Brew, that is what
I'm reporting, maybe I'm reporting this in the wrong channel.

4-I really don't know how to be more clear, I though people in this list
understand without a lot of trivial details, like "ERROR: xxx not found"
error, it is obvious that the config isn't finding the header file, that is
why I though the config log wasn't necessary, but my mistake, it will be
included here.

5-Where do you get I'm developing an attitude?, we are communicating
through emails, there is no tone positive or negative, I'm trying my best
to comply to the norms, but to be honest, I didn't find a set of rules when
FFmpeg displayed an error suggesting to write to this mailing list, there
wasn't a text saying "report the problem to ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org, please
don't top-post".

> I use Homebrew on OSX to install dependencies and libraries, then I build
> ffmpeg.  It works fine.  We might be able to help you, but you should be
> bending over backwards to do as we suggest, provide requested information,
> etc.

My mistake, again, I though that writing an email showing each installed
library with its version number, the commands I used to install the
libraries using home brew, the version of my OS, Xcode and Home Brew where
enough to understand the "ERROR: xxx not found", I'll do exactly what you
tell me to do from now on.

> And by the way, speaking only for myself, I have no interest in jumping
> through your hoops to see if I can follow your instructions to reproduce
> your problem.  I have it working fine.  You’re the one who needs to jump
> through the hoops.

Here is where we get lost, if you have no interest in reading an email from
a user asking for help, then why you are subscribed to a mailing list to
help other users? I write code myself, and I respond all kinds of emails,
emails from very smart people who make things really clear and emails that
almost cryptic, this is a user list, users are not required to be extremely
tech savvy, to give support you have to have patience, commitment and
patience.

Of course you have it running, I also have a complete FFmpeg version
running, but that is not the matter, I'm reporting an error following the
instructions on the official FFmpeg guide to compile a custom FFmpeg build
using Home Brew for installing dependencies, that is my main purpose, to
report an error following a guide in order to have some one to look forward
to correct that guide, I'm NOT asking for help for me, I'm reporting that
following those instructions leads to being unable to build FFmpeg.

The steps that lead to the errors, including links to the log files in
pastebin are at the bottom of this email, hope this information helps in
any way the FFmpeg community.

Configuration command:

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--enable-gpl \
--enable-nonfree \
--enable-libass \
--enable-libfdk-aac \
--enable-libfreetype \
--enable-libopus \
--enable-libvpx \
--enable-libx264 \
--enable-libx265 \
--enable-libmp3lame \
--enable-libtheora \
--enable-libvidstab \
--enable-libvorbis \
--enable-libxvid

Error:
ERROR: libmp3lame >= 3.98.3 not found

config.log: http://pastebin.com/F9ejNSiS

Location of the file missing by the config:
/usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/include/lame/lame.h

Configuration command without lame:

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--enable-gpl \
--enable-nonfree \
--enable-libass \
--enable-libfdk-aac \
--enable-libfreetype \
--enable-libopus \
--enable-libvpx \
--enable-libx264 \
--enable-libx265 \
--enable-libtheora \
--enable-libvidstab \
--enable-libvorbis \
--enable-libxvid

Error:
ERROR: libtheora not found

config.log: http://pastebin.com/ggFwafeV

Location of the file missing by the config:
/usr/local/Cellar/theora/1.1.1/include/theora/theoraenc.h

Configuration command without lame and theora:

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--enable-gpl \
--enable-nonfree \
--enable-libass \
--enable-libfdk-aac \
--enable-libfreetype \
--enable-libopus \
--enable-libvpx \
--enable-libx264 \
--enable-libx265 \
--enable-libvidstab \
--enable-libvorbis \
--enable-libxvid

Error:
ERROR: libvorbis not found

config.log: http://pastebin.com/4sRZ5aPQ

Location of the file missing by the config:
/usr/local/Cellar/libvorbis/1.3.5/include/vorbis/vorbisenc.h

Configuration command without lame, theora and vorbis:

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--enable-gpl \
--enable-nonfree \
--enable-libass \
--enable-libfdk-aac \
--enable-libfreetype \
--enable-libopus \
--enable-libvpx \
--enable-libx264 \
--enable-libx265 \
--enable-libvidstab \
--enable-libxvid

Error:
ERROR: libxvid not found

config.log: http://pastebin.com/LhGYmP02

Location of the file(s) missing by the config:
/usr/local/Cellar/xvid/1.3.4/include/xvid.h
/usr/local/include/xvid.h

The config ran withoyt lame, theora, vorbis and xvid.

--
Rodrigo J. Polo
www.rodrigopolo.com