[FFmpeg-user] libtheora, libmp3lame, vidstab, libvorbis, and libxvid not found on OS X

Rodrigo Polo rodrigo.polo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:00:04 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 4:51 AM, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:

> Disclaimer: I have neither Mac not homebrew. Why it works for other Mac
> users I cannot evaluate.
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 22:19:39 -0600, Rodrigo Polo wrote:
> > Configuration command:
> >
> > ./configure \
> > --prefix=/usr/local \
> > --enable-gpl \
> > --enable-nonfree \
> > --enable-libass \
> > --enable-libfdk-aac \
> > --enable-libfreetype \
> > --enable-libopus \
> > --enable-libvpx \
> > --enable-libx264 \
> > --enable-libx265 \
> > --enable-libmp3lame \
> > --enable-libtheora \
> > --enable-libvidstab \
> > --enable-libvorbis \
> > --enable-libxvid
> >
> > Error:
> > ERROR: libmp3lame >= 3.98.3 not found
> >
> > config.log: http://pastebin.com/F9ejNSiS
> >
> > Location of the file missing by the config:
> > /usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/include/lame/lame.h
>
> lame doesn't use pkg-config, so ffmpeg's configure will have to be told
> to include /usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/include in its search paths.
>
> Either homebrew has changed from providing the headers (and libs) in a
> standard location, or the instructions are incorrect in omitting that
> this needs to be added:
>   --extra-cflags="-I/usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/include"
> --extra-ldflags="-L/usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/lib"
> (I'm guessing a little bit about the lib location.)
>
> Same (likely) for all the other installed libs which weren't found.

Indeed, I got this command yesterday when I had the time to check on that:
./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--enable-gpl \
--enable-nonfree \
--enable-libass \
--enable-libfdk-aac \
--enable-libfreetype \
--enable-libopus \
--enable-libvpx \
--enable-libx264 \
--enable-libx265 \
--enable-libmp3lame \
--enable-libtheora \
--enable-libvidstab \
--enable-libvorbis \
--enable-libxvid \
--extra-ldflags="\
-L/usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/lib \
-L/usr/local/Cellar/libogg/1.3.2/lib \
-L/usr/local/Cellar/theora/1.1.1/lib \
-L/usr/local/Cellar/libvorbis/1.3.5/lib \
-L/usr/local/Cellar/xvid/1.3.4/lib \
" \
--extra-cflags="\
-I/usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/include \
-I/usr/local/Cellar/libogg/1.3.2/include \
-I/usr/local/Cellar/theora/1.1.1/include \
-I/usr/local/Cellar/libvorbis/1.3.5/include \
-I/usr/local/Cellar/xvid/1.3.4/include
"

It works and compiles, but I though maybe someone could fix/update the
instructions in this guide:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MacOSX#CompilingFFmpegyourself

Or maybe to make FFmpeg compile this libraries some how, I really
appreciate your help, very kind, I just wanted to give some feedback in
order to make this project better, I saw that just 5 days ago Werner
Robitza and Nicolas George got in the same arguments I got here about
following precise steps for submiting issues and about compiling guides,
and just as Werner Robitza stated: "people are gonna copy-paste stuff from
it without understanding":
https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2015-April/026034.html

It would be great to include the kind of issues that can happen and the
solutions for them in the guide, and as Werner Robitza stated, if I cold
submit a reviewed version of the instructions, I'll do it.

Thanks :D

> Cheers,
> Moritz

Rodrigo J. Polo