[FFmpeg-user] libtheora, libmp3lame, vidstab, libvorbis, and libxvid not found on OS X

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Apr 23 11:36:07 CEST 2016

Am 23.04.2016 um 10:08 schrieb looxonline:
> Moritz Barsnick wrote
>> lame doesn't use pkg-config, so ffmpeg's configure will have to be told
>> to include /usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/include in its search paths.
>>
>> Either homebrew has changed from providing the headers (and libs) in a
>> standard location, or the instructions are incorrect in omitting that
>> this needs to be added:
>>   --extra-cflags="-I/usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/include"
>> --extra-ldflags="-L/usr/local/Cellar/lame/3.99.5/lib"
>> (I'm guessing a little bit about the lib location.)
>>
>> Same (likely) for all the other installed libs which weren't found.
>
> I had the same issue a few days back and managed to solve it for all of the
> libraries by using the /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib directories
> instead of specific directories in the cellar for each dependency. Bit of a
> headache but figured my way around it. I'll see if I can dig up my exact
> config string and post it here sometime.

that's how a typical FHS structure looks like and is supposed to work

/usr = system
/usr/local = own stuff

the structure below is identical

one problem is that OSX has no proper package managment and so it will
mess up sooner or later with updates over the time - a sane operating
system with packages knows who installed what and removes obsolete files
automatically

[root at testserver:~]$ rpm -q --filesbypkg x264-latest
x264-latest               /usr/local/x264/libx264.a
x264-latest               /usr/local/x264/x264.h
x264-latest               /usr/local/x264/x264_config.h

if "x264-latest" build in a newer version would no no longer package
"libx264.a" but "libx264.so" the obsolete file would get removed cleanly
and automatically - on apple systems - well - a mess