[FFmpeg-user] on frame changes in recode

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Apr 29 10:44:33 CEST 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 03:38:34 +0000, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> >There's hardly anything left I think you are nitpicking now.
> You're right, they're nitpicking. You can play this game with them for days and they'll always want one more thing, very few of which have any real purpose. I wouldn't waste your time.

If it's so easy to answer for you with the originally given
information, why don't you do so? ;-)

I know Carl Eugen always want the complete output. But certainly, some
things can be deduced without it, and I try my best sometimes.

But this issue isn't easy for me. I'm just a user, so I usually shut up
if I have no idea, instead of saying "no idea" or "must be a bug". I'm
certain a developer should try to say "it's a bug" or "please post a
bug ticket so someone can check", but nobody forces them to join here.
;-) Anyway I thought more information could be useful:

Xen omitted two pieces of information. While the information s/he gave
*may* have been enough, s/he omitted:
- The banner, telling us whether the ffmpeg version may be outdated. Or
  release vs. git version. (You don't believe how many people report
  issues fixed recently. Or even ages ago.)
- The footer line. Xen explicitly dropped it. But you know, it can
  contain one piece of information relevant to the issue:
  $ grep -B1 -Fw drop ffmpeg.c
      if (nb_frames_dup || nb_frames_drop)
          snprintf(buf + strlen(buf), sizeof(buf) - strlen(buf), " dup=%d drop=%d",
  That's the number of duplicated or dropped frames, tadaa.
  That ffmpeg doesn't report such in *this* given issue I had to
  actually try myself, instead of just getting one extra line of
  copy/paste ASCII in Xen's email.
- Xen refuses to install a keylogger which would allow us to count the
  number of spaces typed in the 24 hours before and after the ffmpeg
  command.

You don't have to try to make it hard for everyone.

That said, I too would appreciate if someone here would step forward
once in a while to say: "Sorry, we have no idea what is going there."
As said, I won't do that, because nobody cares.

Moritz