[FFmpeg-user] resolution of the waterfall diagram of typical mp3 file

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Aug 8 12:34:11 EEST 2016

Le primidi 21 thermidor, an CCXXIV, Florin Andrei a écrit :
> Using python/numpy or some other tools, I calculate the spectrum of the
> whole song, either all at once if possible, or using a reasonably large,
> shifting time window.
>
> I store that spectrum in a matrix.

And stop right here. If you compute the spectrum of the whole song, you do
not have a matrix, you have a vector. There is no time dimension in a
spectrum, it is the distribution of frequencies in the whole piece, period.

If you have a time dimension, that means you are doing something more
complex than a spectrum. You need to understand exactly what you are doing,
or more precisely what the others tools are doing for you. Then you can jump
back to my first mail.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George