[FFmpeg-user] How to convert music into DTS encoded WAV file?

Nomis101 🐝 Nomis101 at web.de
Thu Aug 11 01:15:52 EEST 2016

Am 10.08.16 um 20:05 schrieb Moritz Barsnick:
> I'm still confused at to what this file really is. ;-)
As I read on wikipedia and some forums, a DTS bitstream, based on the
Coherent Acoustics compression algorithm, is actually encapsulated in
each PCM audio track, which is a "pseudo 2-channel wav". For iTunes it
than looks like a normal 16 bit, 44.1kHz WAV file, but then inside the
fake wav file is a DTS encoded audio info. This is why iTunes plays it
nicely and my DTS receiver than can decode the DTS stream. VLC, on the
other hand, tells me it is a 6-channel dts file and plays me the
encapsulated dts-music. It should be possible to generate such files
with some Windows software, like Minnetonka's SurCode for DTS-CD. But,
as I have a Mac and don't own Windows, I would like to do this with
ffmpeg. But I have no idea how.