[FFmpeg-user] .vob output versus .mpg output versus .dvd output (?)

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:34:42 EET 2016

> If my output filename ends with .mpg, then ffmpeg produces an output file

that is an MPEG-1 system stream. ac-3 in MPEG-1 system streams is not
widely supported.

> If on the other hand, I use ffmpeg to create an output file ending in .vob,

that is an MPEG-2 program stream. ac-3 in MPEG-2 program streams
is widely supported.

> If I use ffmpeg to create an output file ending in .dvd, then

that is an MPEG-2 program stream with nav packets (that I guess are
not zero-sized).

I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with Mediainfo but please note
that (among the thousands of reports I worked on) I do not remember a
single report or user question for which Mediainfo helped in any way.
(FFmpeg command line and console output are nearly always required,
especially when a user thinks that the issue is "obvious" or similar.)

Carl Eugen