[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg and handler_name in a mov

David Cecco dave at bit.st
Wed Dec 7 16:42:16 EET 2016

Hi guys,

Is there any way to change the handler_name metadata field in a mov file?  I am trying to avoid having a Final Cut Pro message pop up regarding media optimisation.

Here is what I am currently trying:

ffmpeg -y -i test.mxf -vf setfield=tff -flags +ilme+ildct -map 0:1 -map 0:0 -metadata:s handler_name="Apple Alias Data Handler" -metadata:s encoder="\"Apple ProRes 422 LT\"" -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec prores_ks -profile:v 1 -copytb -1 test.mov

I tried the above with a Matroska file and it worked, I have tried this will the latest source code on git too.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

/dave.