[FFmpeg-user] cutoff argument not passed to libmp3lame

Bernhard Döbler programmer at bardware.de
Mon Dec 19 00:58:46 EET 2016

Hi,

i recently looked into an mp3 file.

It contained the string with arguments is was encoded with. It looked
like: -m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-mt -b 32

I looked into ffmpeg documentation and saw there's an argument "-cutoff"
that should do, what "-lowpass" does in LAME.

I encoded some files with ffmpeg playing with the cutoff argument and
saw no change in the resulting file.

When I used "-c:a aac" instead of "-c:a libmp3lame" cutoff had an
impact. I looked at the mp3/m4a file with a tool "Spek" that draws a
graph of the frequencies used in the file.

I now wonder why the argument is not passed to the LAME library?

Best,

Bernhard Döbler