[FFmpeg-user] blotchy encoding on stationary areas

Jason C jason.cipriani at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 18:07:13 CET 2016

At first glance I wonder if you are "over-optioning", perhaps try trimming
down then observing the effects of various options. If you're going to be
experimenting with parameters, you have a lot of variables in your current
parameter set, it'll be easy to get confused.

Personally I don't know much about vp9 but the gop size (360) feels high,
but take that with a grain of salt.

In my own minimal tests just now I achieved good 2-pass results with videos
with stationary areas using just (note that the default gop size for vp9 is
actually much higher than 360, the below outputs ended up with just a
single I frame at the start -- in my tests varying it did not affect the
output quality) (also, my PC is too slow to do "-speed 0" in a reasonable
amount of time):

  ffmpeg -i %1 -pass 1 -b:v 2M -vcodec libvpx-vp9 -speed 4 -f webm -y %2
  ffmpeg -i %1 -pass 2 -b:v 2M -vcodec libvpx-vp9 -speed 1 -f webm -y %2

But at the same time, 2M was more than enough for my videos (they were
coming out around 1.8 anyways). Can you post a sample video, or at least
tell what your input video dimensions and frame rates are?

Please do not take my words here as any sort of authority. There are others
on this list with far more knowledge, I just happened to reply first.

Jason