[FFmpeg-user] Converting ProRes 422 to mp4

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Fri Feb 12 20:53:09 CET 2016

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 11:02 AM, saikari.hakala at laposte.net wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a mov ProRes 422 video file (with no audio) that I need to convert to mp4 without losing quality.

To not lose quality you'd need to use a lossless encoding with mp4, I think h264 is the only one supported in mp4. If the ProRes is 10 bit, you'd like to compile x264 as 10 bit and then configuration ffmpeg to use it. Then to encode h264 losslessly use -crf 0 -qp 0. There's a section on lossless h264 here: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264 <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264>.
Dave Rice