[FFmpeg-user] [Fedora] Installing from source

matt clark liquefry at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 03:30:10 CET 2016

Using the wiki https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Centos to
successfully compile ffmpeg on Fedora 21 I hit an error and needed to make
a fix so I thought I'd post it here in case someone wants to add it to the
wiki (not sure if I can do this?).

Anyway  I was getting a "freetype2 not found" error on compiling before
this.  I had freetype-devel installed but there was an additional missing
dependancy:

    yum install bzip2-devel

I installed this package based on the following error in config.log after
trying to configure the source:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbz2

I have bzip2 installed but needed the devel package so configure could find
the lbz2 library.

I also did the following (as root) - not sure if it was needed though as I
did it before installing the bzip2-devel package.  Source -
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-July/022603.html

   ln -sf /usr/include/freetype2 /usr/include/freetype2/freetype

Hope this helps someone!

Matt