[FFmpeg-user] Which command line can do dvb_teletext from ts to mp4

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Feb 16 10:41:55 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 01:43:18 +0100, Henk D. Schoneveld wrote:
> > It doesn't say right there, but somewhere where ffmpeg's options system
> > is described, that decoder options are *input* options and belong
> > before the corresponding input.
> Sorry but my knowledge was insufficient for this. The -ss and -t
> option, also input options can both be used before and after the
> input, it wasn’t obvious to me anyway.

Well, perhaps the docs should be clearer about some things. (To me they
are. ;-))

It does say at the *very* top:
> ffmpeg [global_options] {[input_file_options] -i input_file} ... {[output_file_options] output_file} ...

And most options are described as such - note "(input)", "(output)", or
both:
> -t duration (input/output)
> -ss position (input/output)

Those relating only to a certain codec, demuxer or muxer are listed
elsewhere. (Demuxer options are obviously inputs options, muxers'
obviously outputs, but perhaps it should say so somewhere [it probably
does]. Codecs *can* be inputs and outputs.)

> The subject line tells my goal, usable format on almost every device.
> It’s impossible to extract dvb_teletext from an .ts => mp4 compatible
> mov_text. Carl helped me to do this via the ass mkv way.

Okay, I still don't see the point where ffmpeg is not able to convert
to mov_text. I fail to find the proper description of that in this
thread. ;-)

Just like conversion from teletext to SRT works fine, so does this for
me:

$ ffmpeg -ss 00:03:20 -fix_sub_duration -txt_format text -txt_page 777 -i /home/barsnick/Downloads/PVR/20160130\ 2014\ -\ ZDF\ HD\ -\ München\ Mord.ts -map 0:v -map 0:2 -map 0:5 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text -t 60 tmp/München_Mord.mp4

This displays fine in VLC, though I'm not sure whether you might want
better formatting.

Moritz