[FFmpeg-user] audio only AAC in HLS

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Feb 17 17:30:31 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 16:45:28 +0100, Guido Holz wrote:
> it works, but I don't understand, why it has to be. I can't find any hints
> of "why hls is needing it". Is it possible to generate it with ffmpeg? Is
> there any other way to play audio-only in hls?

Well, do you have this issue anywhere where you try to play your HLS,
or just with that F**** Flash player ("bitdash"?) you are using?
(Thanks akamai for hiding the reference to the Flash object behind
obfuscated JavaScript.)

If it's just the player,
- ask those who provided or designed it why it behaves this way,
- find out what other formats it accepts. Does it have to be AAC ADTS
  with proprietary ID3 tags?

E.g. you could pack AAC into MPEG-TS, it's done all the time.

I wanted to test with an MPEG-TS I have here (reassembled from TS
segments from an HLS radio show), but the stupid player wants a
license. So d'uh!

Moritz