[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg makes some sources darker

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jan 5 01:11:57 CET 2016

Andy Furniss <adf.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I think it's because the master is flagged as rec709
> but the yuv and I guess hevc aren't.

While this is at least likely (sorry for my original
comment, I don't know what I looked at), the source
code seems to disagree: colour_primaries etc. are
read from both h264 and hevc files and are written
both when encoding with libx264 and libx265.
You could test to set them with the following:
-color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709
(with a faster preset), it shouldn't make a
difference but who knows...

And please also test with -vcodec x264, Carl Eugen