[FFmpeg-user] Need help; willing to pay

Steve Boyer steveboyer85 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 05:50:18 CET 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Matthew Adams <matthew at matthewadams.me> wrote:
> Moritz & Steve,
>
> Thanks for your ffmpeg commands.  On my MacBook Pro Retina 15", I ran them
> (took less than 30 secs or so) and then viewed the resulting files in both
> VLC & QuickTime.
>
> Both of the resulting videos did *exactly* what I was trying to get rid of:
>  a second or so of real-time action at the beginning, then a long super
> slow-motion middle, then a second or so of real-time action at the end.

Matthew,
One quick sanity-check -- are you running the commands on
"variable-bitrate-sample.mov" or on the raw
"Jan22016-150PM-b6cs7K.mov"? I downloaded all three files and here are
the commands used (jumped back to the linux side with an older version
of FFmpeg compiled [built on Nov 16 2014 15:41:37 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu
4.8.2-19ubuntu1], but should still work in newest version):

ffmpeg -i Jan22016-150PM-b6cs7K.mov -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -vf
fps=fps=30 -crf 20 -preset slow Jan22016-150PM-b6cs7K.mp4
ffmpeg -i Jan22016-151PM-g8drtF.mov -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -vf
fps=fps=30 -crf 20 -preset slow Jan22016-151PM-g8drtF.mp4
ffmpeg -i variable-bitrate-sample.mov -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -vf
fps=fps=30 -crf 20 -preset slow variable-bitrate-sample.mov

Running the FFmpeg commands, I get:
...150PM... filesizes: MOV: 61M, MP4: 8.9M
...151PM... filesizes: MOV: 27M, MP4: 3.9M
variable... filesizes: MOV: 11M, MP4: 14M

"150PM" and "151PM" are both in real-time, audio preserved, in 30fps
wonder (easy to change this to 60 fps if you desire by mucking around
in the commands above). The "variable" file does not have audio and
plays for a few seconds in realtime, then goes into slow-motion.