[FFmpeg-user] Reports not getting x265 info

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Jan 9 17:46:00 CET 2016

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:36:54 -0700, Jim Worrall wrote:

> If I’m understanding right, that would mean that redirecting ffmpeg’s
> stderr and stdout would not capture libx265’s output?

That's not correct. As a Unix shell only has stdout and stderr, there's
nowhere else that output could be. Technically said: Both ffmpeg and
the libraries it calls into share the same stdout and stderr. So if you
capture those, it will contain what you see on the console.

But you asked about the FFREPORT feature, and *that* does not contain
libx265's output. (It's not a copy of stdout or stdout+stderr, it's
an additional target for ffmpeg's log functions.)

Moritz