[FFmpeg-user] A video file with srt file question

Sam Logan shapableline at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 02:37:49 CET 2016

> I did. I still hear the non-English speech louder than the English speech.
The English speech seems to have been encoded into the video :(

I thought from your original post that you were only wanting to suppress
non-English subtitles; I didn't realize you were referring to audio as well.

As far as audio goes, if the languages were encoded to different audio
tracks, then you could simply use your video player's settings/options to
select one audio track. However, since almost no video players will
simultaneously play 2 audio tracks by default, the fact that you are
simultaneously hearing both English and non-English audio almost certainly
means that the audio of both languages are encoded into the same track.
This happens fairly commonly with low-quality dubs.

Unfortunately, since both languages are encoded into the same audio track,
there is no way to remove one language from the other without doing manual
audio processing and editing (involving human judgment calls) by
specialized audio editing software, which is not within the scope of FFmpeg.