[FFmpeg-user] [FFmpeg-devel] How to build for static ffmpeg executable

Tobias Rapp t.rapp at noa-archive.com
Thu Jan 21 09:14:18 CET 2016

On 21.01.2016 00:57, John Pompeii wrote:
>>> But for convenience, you have to make sure the external libraries
>>> are built as static libraries with DLLs disabled, or the compiler
>>> will link to them by default.
> Im not building things like the compilers and runtime libs, they just
> come with the platform.

Tim was referring to the libraries you have listed in your previous post
like fontconfig, freetype, glib-2.0, etc. You should make sure they have
been compiled with "--enable-static --disable-shared" or some similar
configure option (depending on the libraries build system).

The following script contains information on the static build options
for a list of libraries, helpful even when you do not cross-compile:
https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers

 > Since the project distributes versions of
> ffmpeg builds as static exe's, I would assume there is a build
> process for it?  (without having a specially created environment or
> hacking the configure file...) --john

The FFmpeg project does not directly provide binary builds. I guess you
refer to the Zeranoe download page which has a link on
ffmpeg.org/download.html?

BTW: I'm building my ffmpeg win32/win64 executables on a GNU/Linux
virtual machine using the mingw64 cross-compiler. This way the
environment tools like shell, make, yasm, etc. are installed a lot easier.

Regards,
Tobias