[FFmpeg-user] git error message for download of ff

Bob Benites benites at unca.edu
Fri Jan 22 20:27:59 CET 2016

Sorry if this has already been covered. I checked in the archives
before posting this request.

I was attempting to build ffmpeg using the instructions
on this page:

   https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Centos

When I got to the instructions for ffmpeg itself, I tried
running the suggested command:

   git clone --depth 1 http://source.ffmpeg.org/git/ffmpeg.git

But saw this error when I did:

# git clone --depth 1 http://source.ffmpeg.org/git/ffmpeg.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /usr/local/ffmpeg_sources/ffmpeg/.git/
fatal: dumb http transport does not support --depth

I've never had any problems with any of the other git
command retrievals, however the others used "git://" as
opposed to "http://"

Suggestions?

Thanks...

-- Bob