[FFmpeg-user] MPEG-2 video, m2v1 (?) vs mp2v

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jan 28 11:18:10 CET 2016

Moritz Barsnick <barsnick <at> gmx.net> writes:

> But indeed, with MOV, the named FourCCs are used, and while
> my mplayer *can* play then, VLC refuses to.

FourCCs are related to riff / avi.
mov / mp4 code points can be found here:
http://www.mp4ra.org/codecs.html
Since mpeg1video and mpeg2video are not listed
it is difficult to find the right code point;-(

> And those FourCCs are not listed here:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/?title=QuickTime_container#Video_FOURCCs

But no (good) alternatives are presented on this list either;-(

Note that from a quick look, -f mp4 works fine for one of the codecs.
It uses these object type indicators:
http://www.mp4ra.org/object.html

Carl Eugen