[FFmpeg-user] feature request/suggestion: add support for dolby vision decoding :)

Andrew Sun adsun701 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 13:34:49 CEST 2016

Maybe it can be made as a FFmpeg Google Summer of Code 2017 mentored
project.

But now I can see how much time and money it would need to develop
something that big. A dual layer decoder and HDR dynamic metadata support
has never been implemented in FFmpeg before. We would need to implement the
VES splitter that combines the decoders, dynamic metadata parser, the Dolby
Vision composer that combines the base bitstream and metadata, and possibly
the display management.

Dolby Vision uses not only the YCbCr color format, but also ICtCp, which is
a color format designed by Dolby for HDR and Wide Color Gamuts. We would
also need to include support for ICtCp and its pixel formats (e.g. itp420p,
itp420p10, etc.).

I think that we can wait for a while before implementing a Dolby Vision
decoder. After all, there are currently no Ultra-HD Blu-rays in the store
that are Dolby Vision enabled. Also, I'm pretty sure since Dolby Vision is
proprietary, there would have to be reverse engineering involved.

Andrew Sun