[FFmpeg-user] Does ffmpeg have options to increase speed of ffmpeg scaling command?

Dmitry Kazakov Dmitry.Kazakov at EF.com
Tue Jul 5 03:51:18 CEST 2016

Hello,

I am working on video scaling feature of my application and have a case when I need to scale and compress 250 mb of video. Currently it takes ~20 minutes on the top brand smartphone and it is quite far from my expectations.

I am aware of -preset ultrafast param, but it has impact only on the speed of x264 codec which almost the same as speed of mpeg4 codec (based on my benchmark). You can see exact command below.

Could you please advise, does ffmpeg supports any others options which can potentially help to increase the speed?

-y -I <origin.mp4> -vf scale=640:-1 -r 15 -ab 12288 -vcodec mpeg4 -preset ultrafast -acodec copy -b 2097152 <result.mp4>

SY,
Dmitry