[FFmpeg-user] Detecting frames on Raw video stream

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Fri Jul 15 09:06:33 EEST 2016

On 15/07/2016 00:53, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Charl Wentzel <charl.wentzel <at> vodamail.co.za> writes:
>> I changed the server software to only start transmitting
>> packets after FFmpeg has connected.
>> This ensures that FFmpeg sees the stream from the very
>> first byte.
> Do I understand correctly that all frames have an identical
> offset? I don't think this can be fixed, rawvideo frames
> have no start tag.
Exactly!  That's what I was hinting at.  What alternative raw formats
are available in FFmpeg that do contain some meta data? Bitmap (BMP) maybe?
> Note that mpegts does not support rawvideo.
Yes, but it does support Private Streams which can carry any data. I
found hints that this can be used to support other formats not native to
MPEG-TS.  I'll be trying that today, but I might lack some knowledge on
the subject a bit.
> You should teach FFmpeg to read the frames from the camera.
Any ideas how?  Should I consider writing my own container format
library for FFmpeg?  Or can I specify a bit pattern of sorts as start
sequence via command line parameters?

Regards
Charl