[FFmpeg-user] SAR changes when stream copying y4m video to Matroska when SAR is present in source

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:29:50 EEST 2016

Hi Carl,

Thanks for replying.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Which - without really verifying myself! - are probably
> the correct display dimensions for the given input.
>
> I don't know why FFmpeg writes display dimensions instead
> of DAR: My guess is that there are players which would
> fill the screen if your input would be remuxed with dar
> instead of display dimensions.
> (Difficult to test with your use case since many video
> players do not support rawvideo in mkv...)
>
> Feel free to open a ticket.

Will do. Let me know if any further info or testing should go into the
trac report. I think I should probably try to replicate in mkvmerge as
well.

>> ffmpeg version N-44317-g7af44ce
>
> Unrelated: I am curious how this version string gets created
> (it should be "N-80980-g7af44ce"): What does the following
> command show for you?
> $ git describe --tags --match N

I updated ffmpeg before seeing your email, but I think the issue may
persist. I use linuxbrew to compile ffmpeg on Ubuntu, so I'm not
cloning ffmpeg manually.
:~/.cache/Homebrew/ffmpeg--git$ git describe --tags --match N
N-44450-g71167f7

> Thank you for the interesting report, Carl Eugen

Best,

Kieran.