[FFmpeg-user] considering image sequence+audio for video preservation

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sun Jun 12 19:08:44 CEST 2016

Dear Ibrahim,

I didn't have time yet to fully and thoroughly read through your
detailed mail yet, but I did extensive research about "image sequence +
audio file" for preservation (for the Austrian National Archive) a few
years ago.

I cannot go into greatest detail right now, but for starters I wanted to
point out, the 2 major issues which caused us to go back to
videocodec+container instead of image sequences.

These are:

1) Non-RGB colorspace support in image formats (especially YUV/YCbCR).
2) Way slower speed when handling image sequences compared to videofile
- due to filesystem overhead, independent of compression size.

I will get back in more detail to your question as early as possible.

Kind regards,
Peter B.