[FFmpeg-user] Installing on 10.8.8

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Fri Mar 4 06:37:03 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 03:15 PM, Ian Cruickshank wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I have had problems trying to install ffmpeg on my Mac that's running on
> 10.8.8. I've been following the instructions from this site
> http://sesam.hu/2012/09/05/installing-ffmpeg-on-os-x-mountain-lion/, and

Old, random, unmaintained guides are usually not very good to follow
when it comes to FFmpeg.

> when I run ./configure --enable-libmp3lame --enable-shared
> --enable-libfaac
> --enable-nonfree --disable-yasm

Not a very useful collection of options.

> I get this:
>
> If gcc is a cross-compiler, use the --enable-cross-compile option.
> Only do this if you know what cross compiling means.
> C compiler test failed.
>
> Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Did you install a C compiler first? I'm not a OS X user, but you may
need to install Xcode first.

Or use homebrew if you prefer:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MacOSX

Or if you don't want to compile just download a binary. This is the
easiest option.
http://www.evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/