[FFmpeg-user] Lost h/w vdpau UHD level 5.2 h264 since avconv_vdpau: use the hwcontext API to simplify code merged.

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:34:54 CET 2016

Andy Furniss wrote:
> Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Andy Furniss <adf.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> IIRC vdpau doesn't even go up to level 5.2 but before
>>> below merge it worked for me.
>>>
>>> Now it just silently falls back to s/w while still
>>> throwing the threads warning.
>>
>> Please open a new ticket providing as much information
>> as possible in the ticket description, this includes at
>> least the failing command line, console output for
>> current FFmpeg git head, the commit that broke the
>> feature and a (short) explanation of what goes wrong.
>
> I'll investigate more.
>
> It still works via mpv so I think it's just that ffmpeg cli
> has got strict again WRT the silly situation that vdpau info
> reports level 4.1 for my h/w.
>
> I can change this, but last time I looked vdpau spec only went up to
> 5.1 and I need 5.2 - hence why players and previously ffmpeg cli learned
> to ignore that info.

This is the reason, I changed mesa to make vdpauinfo say 51 and 51 will
get h/w dec, but 52 won't. Then changed to say 52 and level 5.2 will
then also work.

IIRC this used to be the case historically (ffmpeg cli adhered to
advertised levels) but it got changed after I mentioned it in some
thread on devel. I guess players/ffmpeg pre this regression just
went on surface size to say yes/no to UHD.

I'll still open a track later after looking harder what needs changing.

Even without change, current behavior is broken, in that at verbose
logging level it goes as far as outputting h/w dec info then silently
doesn't use it.