[FFmpeg-user] pcm in mp4

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Mar 21 16:59:33 CET 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 15:59:04 +0100, Robert Krüger wrote:

> the mp4 muxer currently does not accept pcm in mp4. However, there are
> several cameras out there, that produce such files. Would it be possible to
> support this option when using -strict -2?

If the cameras are doing it wrong, why would *you* want to do so as
well?

> This way a user could create non-spec-conformant files but it would
> not happen, when not explicitly overriding the default. Is this not
> the way this is handled in other places?

I can't speak for the MP4 standard, but if it's not defined, ffmpeg
would have to define a (non-spec-conformant) way to do this, or imitate
some other format, like that of your camera.

But again, why would you want to do this? Which client needs this?

Perhaps the QuickTime (mov) container could be an option for you, it is
very similar to the mp4 container. (mp4 was indeed derived from
QuickTime.) It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Moritz