[FFmpeg-user] How does FFmpeg + NVENC scale with multiple instances?

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Thu Mar 24 06:04:21 CET 2016

Hi,

Trying to build a real-time transcoding farm based on FFmpeg + NVENC.
I see many bench marks report on encoding frame rate, but not sure on
how they scale when the number of encoding processes increase.

I would appreciate advise from those with insight on the following.

1)
As of today, what is the most affordable NVIDIA card that allows 3 or
more instances of FFmpeg + NVENC to run?

2)
In the case of the following application, roughly how many instances can
I expect to run simultaneously?

 CPU: A single modern Core i7 (Rather than multi CPU)
 OS: Windows or Linux
 Input: MPEG2 or H.264, Mainly SD but occasionally HD
 Output: H.264, SD
 Other: De-interlace. Quality has priority over latency.

3)
Any other bottlenecks/pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thank you.
--
David Shimamoto