[FFmpeg-user] Looking for suggestions for backing up my DVDs

Francesco Turco fturco at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 28 16:02:28 CEST 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016, at 15:37, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Francesco Turco <fturco <at> fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> > $ mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr0 -dumpstream -dumpfile Alien.vob dvd://1
>
> For best quality you should keep this file.
> Note that it is compatible with many video players
> including WMP iirc and needs very little power on
> playback.

Initially I also believed I should not transcode VOBs into WebM. But all
my attempts at remuxing the initial VOB files into other containers
(MPEG or MKV) failed.

$ ffmpeg -i alien-1.vob -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -map 0:3 -codec copy
output.mkv

[matroska @ 0x558894a494a0] Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream
0. This is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Fix your code
to set the timestamps properly
[matroska @ 0x558894a494a0] Can't write packet with unknown timestamp
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument
[matroska @ 0x558894a494a0] Can't write packet with unknown timestamp
Error writing trailer of output.mkv: Invalid argument

If I try using MPEG instead I can't set the language metadata for the
audio tracks:

$ ffmpeg -i alien-1.vob -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -map 0:3 -codec copy
-metadata:s:a:0 language=ita -metadata:s:a:1 language=eng -f dvd
output.mpeg

[dvd @ 0x55a3208ab4e0] Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream 0.
[dvd @ 0x55a3208ab4e0] buffer underflow st=1 bufi=1081 size=1536