[FFmpeg-user] Looking for suggestions for backing up my DVDs

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Mar 28 16:09:09 CEST 2016

Francesco Turco <fturco <at> fastmail.fm> writes:

> > > $ mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr0 -dumpstream -dumpfile Alien.vob dvd://1
> >
> > For best quality you should keep this file.
> > Note that it is compatible with many video players
> > including WMP iirc and needs very little power on
> > playback.
>
> Initially I also believed I should not transcode VOBs
> into WebM.

Yes, this sounds correct.

> But all my attempts at remuxing the initial VOB files
> into other containers

Why do you want to remux a file that is in a container
understood by every single media player into another
container?

> (MPEG

Fortunately, MPEG == VOB.

> or MKV) failed.

I suspect this can be made working (+genpts) but I wonder
why...

> $ ffmpeg -i alien-1.vob -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -map 0:3
> -codec copy output.mkv

When asking for help on this mailing list, please always
provide command line including complete, uncut console output
(at least first and last 50 lines), do not post excerpts.

Carl Eugen