[FFmpeg-user] Regarding Not support in Lollipop

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Mar 30 21:33:57 CEST 2016

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> >> Wrong mailing list, we cannot fix your OS;-(
> >>
> >> If you absolutely have to use it, you will have to
> >> pass --disable-asm to configure, note that this
> >> makes the libraries ridiculously slow
> >
> > why should using -fPIE require --disable-asm

Sorry to be so outspoken but why do you comment if
you don't know the issue?
FFmpeg on Lollipop x86-32 needs --disable-asm.

> and BTW "we cannot fix your OS" in context of
> Position-Independet-Executeables is somehow luaghly
> - in 2016 no binary at all should built in a way
> not supporting ASLR proper

FFmpeg developers decided not to work on this
issue. If you can provide a clean (!) patch that
leads to no measurable speed impact, please step
forward!
(It is possible or likely that such a patch cannot
be written.)

Please don't forget that time is the only limiting
factor for FFmpeg development: I think it would be
very sad if the few active FFmpeg developers started
working on rewriting x86-32 asm...

Carl Eugen