[FFmpeg-user] Encoding DV tapes with "datecode" preserved for each frame

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Sun May 8 07:40:34 CEST 2016

Not saying it isn't possible, but I never managed to do this. It could be that datecode is proprietary DV codec metadata not understood by ffmpeg (at least with the versions I tried).

Failing that, you have a couple of alternatives. To help ffmpeg access datecodes, extract them to subtitle text file format with dvdate or similar beforehand, and then try mux them in (converting format if necessary) with ffmpeg during encoding. The other alternative follows from this - extract datecode to subtitle files for your player to render during playback. The latter is what I usually do.