[FFmpeg-user] FFPROBE and Tags in MOV/MP4 files

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Mon May 16 18:06:25 CEST 2016

Hi!

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Dave Navarro, Jr.
<dave at topekadesign.com> wrote:
> I am using the latest version of FFPROBE to extract meta data from MOV and
> MP4 files uploaded to my web site.
>

> ffprobe -v quiet -show_format -show_streams -show_private_data -print_format
> json test.mp4
>

> I am running some tests and I can't seem to locate where "TAGS" or
> "KEYWORDS" are stored.
>

> On my Windows 7 machine, when I right-click on a .MP4 file and go to the
> "Details" tab. I put in the Title and Comments which I can see in the
> FFPROBE output as being in the FORMAT section.

I replicated your use-case in win 7 by adding a title and comments and
this command produced:
ffprobe -v quiet -show_entries format -show_private_data -print_format
json K:\fixed.mov
{
    "format": {
        "filename": "K:\\fixed.mov",
        "nb_streams": 2,
        "nb_programs": 0,
        "format_name": "mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2",
        "format_long_name": "QuickTime / MOV",
        "start_time": "0.000000",
        "duration": "5632.625000",
        "size": "6191240703",
        "bit_rate": "8793400",
        "probe_score": 100,
        "tags": {
            "major_brand": "qt  ",
            "minor_version": "512",
            "compatible_brands": "qt  ",
            "encoder": "Lavf57.25.100",
            "title": "testooooo",
            "comment": "leaf example comment for dave navarro,
possibly from chilli peppers, but probably not"
        }
    }
}

Hopefully that resolves your issue?