[FFmpeg-user] drawtext 4:3 vs 16:9

Cley Faye cleyfaye at gmail.com
Mon May 16 21:27:53 CEST 2016

> I need help with filter_complex and drawtext.
> drawtext on aspect 4:3 are correct but drawtext on aspect 16:9 are
> stretched.

​I've tried the drawtext filter with both 4/3 and 16/9, and in both case
the text was the same (pixel perfect even). No stretch issue.

It seems that in both your command, the video itself have the same
resolution (720x576); only the SAR and DAR change. My understanding on it
is that the DAR is only used for playback, but the SAR is the "real"
picture. In any case ffmpeg will write the same picture of text on both,
but the video player will stretch the input video to fit either 4/3 or
16/9, including the now hard text.

If you need to add text to a video with SAR/DAR that won't match, you have
to do it in a way so that the "stretched" output will look normal.