[FFmpeg-user] Can I stream a HTML page to FB Live via CLI

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Nov 15 14:18:26 EET 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 23:18:26 -0800, Philipp Holly wrote:
> Currently I am using OBS to stream a HTML page to FB Live.
> Now I want to stream from a server, therefore I have to start the
> streaming somehow from the CLI.

What capabilites does the server have? Can you open a desktop? Perhaps
a fake (virtual) desktop such as Xvfb?

> I guess I have to capture a fake browser/html generator and create
> video to stream it via ffmpeg? somehow? I have no idea and found no
> solutions out there.

Sure, something will have to render the HTML, obviously. Did OBS do
that natively?

You could either open a browser on a desktop, and then stream that
desktop:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop

Or you use some rendering software to create a stream of images, and
pipe them to ffmpeg (image2pipe input), which then streams them:
http://stackoverflow.com/q/10042388/3974309
http://stackoverflow.com/q/10523608/3974309

Cheers,
Moritz