[FFmpeg-user] Specifying lib path when building ffmpeg

Matteo Naccari Matteo.Naccari at bbc.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 18:18:17 EET 2016

> (I am assuming here that libturing is both slower and produces worse quality
> than libx265, if this is not true, the following has of course little
> relevance.)

According to the reference I've circulated before we achieve a lower compression penalty but we are slower than libx265. Like I said this codec is a live project in continuous development.

> I don't think comparing to a reference implementation makes sense if better
> implementations exist and are used.

The coding efficiency provided by the HEVC reference implementation (i.e. HM) gives you the "theoretical" limit a standard can achieve. Therefore understanding how far a codec is from this theoretical limit is a good indication on whether the development is heading in the right direction. Of course given the limitations of the reference implementation (i.e. no parallel processing, single pass RC, no shot change detection, etc.), it is also wise to compare with other practical implementations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.