[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg and aspect ratio changes with different container formats.

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Wed Nov 16 21:03:35 EET 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 07:29:13PM +0100, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2010-September/012189.html
>
> The way I read the thread is that we both agreed it does not work with mp4.

Yes, probably. I didn't remember that you had it working also only for AVI back
then when i asked - and now checked and reconfirmed.

Still frustrated to understand what container to best use. mkv/mp4 seem to
be worse than avi, and every time i ased in the past, i was recommended not
to use avi because its "legacy".

This AR issue is probably becoming less and less relevant. With most TV programs
now simulcasting, the playout for legacy 4:3 content also seems to go through
HD upscale (with 16:9 conversion) and then downscale for SD. What a quality mess.

> > Encoder: ffmpeg = 3.2.git
>
> Can you explain how you managed to get this version string?

content of RELEASE. Just a git i pulled today for testing. version N-82492-g605f308.
The stable (*grin*) 2.8.6 behaves the same, so no change.

Cheers
    Toerless