[FFmpeg-user] Getting peak bit rate info for HLS .m3u8 master playlist

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 21:12:49 EET 2016

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to get the peak bit rate of a video using ffmpeg?
>>
>> I don't know of any open-source software that supports this.
>> (It is apparently non-trivial iiuc)

> Forgive me because I'm new to this.  Any clues on what I should be
> looking at?  Do/How I look at the frames?  Where do I look to get this
> non-trivial info?  I can script it out once I know where to look.

Forgive me for being unclear:
It is so difficult that I don't know how to do it and I don't know where
to look (but I do know that if you were able to do it you wouldn't have
to ask).

(This is not about finding the biggest frame in a stream afaik, this
would of course be trivial.)

Carl Eugen

PS: This may be part of H.222 but as said, I don't know for sure.