[FFmpeg-user] (de)-interlacing question

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Tue Nov 22 03:24:10 EET 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 01:58:07AM +0100, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> I was sure that the "deinterlace" option is deprecated and therefore
> not documented, I realize that it works and no warning is shown but
> I would still recommend that you choose the deinterlacer you want,
> there are several to choose with different qualities.

Ah, ok. that explains it. I thought most simple CLI options means its the
most likely good default.

Any deinterlacer thats parallelized like the codecs (x264 etc..) ?

> > 2. The 50i material i get from TV nowadays seems to be 720 at 25p material
> >    that was motion interpolated to 50p, scaled down and then sent interlaced.
> >    Aka: every second field is probably just invented by motion interpolation.
> >    Which is quite annoying because IMHO this makes 50% of the bits mostly
> >    fabrication instead of actual source bits.
>
> Command line and complete, uncut console output missing, a sample will
> probably be needed.

No ffmpeg/CLI involved in that theory.
Just download SD and HD versions of some current ARD/ZDF TV production and check it
(i used vlc single step).  Oh well, its still a lot easier than dealing with
NTSC/ATSC telecine problems except that its easier to find recipes on the web
for ATSC/NTSC coding.

Toerless