[FFmpeg-user] (de)-interlacing question

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:30:48 EET 2016

Toerless Eckert wrote:

> Well, but what i am claiming is that they where interlacing
> progressive HD to create interlaced SD.

Maybe, if the master is 720p50. I don't think they would interpolate
from 720p25 to do that though.

> I thought it might have gotten a lot easier through all the
> experience collected with motion estimation. Aka: work in the DCT
> domain, interpolate motion vectors and residual error - or something
> like that.

AIUI encoders get it easy in comparison to interpolation. An encoder has
the ground truth for reference, so even if it can't find good motion
vectors it can correct the difference with the residual or intra code a
block.