[FFmpeg-user] Developer "cehoyos" closed my bug without any explanation, and without solving it

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Oct 13 00:11:26 EEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 22:35:53 +0200, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Let's call my wish " -compatible 1.0" (targeting current-gen hardware)
> and once all the popular hardware platforms advances to HEVC to AV1
> codec, we will create a new profile " -compatible 2.0" for UltraHD
> resolution 4K and 60 fps and 10-bit and updated codecs and more...

Wow, you're opening a can of worms in a world of incompatibility. Have
you seen this (perhaps outdated, perhaps slightly incorrect) table,
just for iOS?
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264#iOS
(Other sources for this information can also be found.)

And then check for websites which recommend how to encode for the web
for compatibility with iOS AND other mobile devices AND desktop, and tell you how
many variants of your video you need to provide, for "sufficient"
coverage. (Perhaps those days are over since a few years? Dunno.)

> So once every 5 to 10 years I recommend to create a new " -compatible
> X.0" profile.

With iOS obsoleting itself every few years, few << 5. ;) (May be
exaggerated, I don't have enough data.)

I think you're deep into "wrapper" land, which needs to maintain
knowledge (and requirements like yours) outside of an encoder.

Just my $0.02,
Moritz