[FFmpeg-user] Developer "cehoyos" closed my bug without any explanation, and without solving it

Sven C. Dack sven.c.dack at sky.com
Thu Oct 13 04:19:41 EEST 2016

On 12/10/16 21:17, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> In reality, I need a video that is cross-platform. Android, for
> example, doesn't like *.mov videos, using the default Samsung Video
> Player on Samsung Galaxy S series.
> This is why *please please please* allow people to encode videos, that
> work everywhere, and document the process.
>
> Everywhere (for me) is defined as: Samsung Galaxy S3 - to S7 (Android
> 4+), Chromebook (preferably), iPhone (4S)+, iPad 2+ (Apple iOS),
> MacBook (Mac OS X), Windows 7+ (10), and Debian Linux. (Windows XP
> also needed, and it works with 3rd party codecs).
What you want is out of control of the encoders. When players refuse to support
a standard then there is nothing the encoders can do about it.

Most people skip right past the default players and install VLC. VLC runs on all
the platforms you've mentioned (and more). It supports the latest and best video
& audio standards, comes with the same user interface and nobody needs to make
any compromises with regards to quality or versatility (except for having to
install it). It's been the perfect solution to this problem and the reason for
its popularity, but it's also likely not the solution you were expecting to find.