[FFmpeg-user] Filter threads vs encoder threads

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 01:36:07 EEST 2016

Is it possible to use slice-threads for the filter graph, while using strictly
frame-threads for the encdoing? In my case it would be sliced threads for
yadif, and then frame threads for libx264.

Furthermore, if it is possible, is it pragmatic to do so? I’m not certain if
ffmpeg does filters and encoding on a single frame in one pass, or if the two
are de-coupled into separate stages. I would assume that if it’s the former,
using different thread types between filters and encoder would cause a lot
extra memory copy.

My problem is that the filter graph is pounding a single CPU, but I don’t want
to use slice-threaded encoding if I don’t have to.

-Reuben